Wednesday 17 October 2012

St. Andrew’s Methodist students take first and second positions in poetry competition


PURE POETRY: Shonte Mitchell and Nishorn Pierre from
St. Andrew’s Methodist Primary School receive their prizes from the
Grenada Postal Corporation (GPC) staff for placing first and second in
the 2012 Grenada Postal Corporation Poetry Competition. 
By Linda Straker

TWO students from the St. Andrew’s Methodist Primary School placed first and second in the 2012 Grenada Postal Corporation Poetry Competition.

Constantine Methodist student, Josel Charles, receiving a prize from GPC representatives.
Shonte Mitchell and Nishorn Pierre were selected to the first and second positions, while third was awarded to Josel Charles from Constantine Methodist. Eighty-one students from 13 primary schools submitted entries in the competition, which ran from July to September.


The prizes were delivered to the winning students by representatives of the Grenada Postal Corporation on October 11 and 12, 2012 as part of a week of activities undertaken by the corporation as part of World Post Day, which was observed on October 9. The presentation to the winning students was witnessed by fellow students and classmates.

The judging criterion was based on Originality, Diction, Imagery and Relevance to topic, which equally carried 25 points.

The first prize was $300; second was $200; and third was EC$150.

(Below is Shonte Mitchell’s winning entry, ‘My Journey as a Letter’.)


My Journey as a Letter
By Shonte Mitchell

Carefully handwritten, neatly prepared
A message from the marker, my content unread
Folded, signed and sealed, everything intact
Nervous about the journey of which I must embark

Handed over at the post, stamped for my trip
I’m hoping my journey will be very quick.
No longer so nervous, new excitement in me
I am packed away with hundreds like me.

Now the time has arrived, the time when we must go
To all different destinations, and that for sure
Now on our way, flown away to new lands
To places we’ll be received with exciting new hands

I’ve finally arrived, so scared of getting lost
Please Mr. Mail man deliver me at any cost
Delivered at the mailbox, a time shortly spent
So quick she came to get me, and then to her room she went

Quickly she opened me and started to read
A smile at my words, so excited indeed
Neatly I was folded again, and placed on her shelf
She must read me again, I said to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment