Wednesday 31 July 2013

Traditional Mas – An expression of Grenada’s unique carnival celebrations

A large crowd turned out to witness the festivities.

By Linda Straker

The truth is, I cannot remember why I did not attend the first year, and last year – which was the second year – I arrived late and only saw one presentation. However, I made a personal promise once I was alive I was not to miss the third year.

And although I had a very important work assignment scheduled to end at 3:00pm which I could not say no too, I did arrived in Victoria for the third Traditional Mas competition. Believe it or not, I arrived in time to see the first band – the Wild Indians – chanting and displaying the appropriate body movement as the group passed the judging point.

I was most happy to see the involvement of the young people, as once the history and love is ingrained in them the tradition will continue.

Some were tall above the crowd, some were short by nature, some were young and growing, some were mature and educated, some were colourful, while some were environmentally friendly, but they all shared one common message – the tradition of our carnival celebrations.

These revellers having a grand time on the road.
It was an evening that reminded me of my younger days when I had the opportunity to see the traditional mas portrayals from the Queen’s Park stage for the Carnival Monday Pageant. To those of you who did not go to Victoria, all I can tell you is that you actually denied yourself the opportunity to see and experience what I will describe as “real Grenadian mas”.

It was not all about the “fancy” costumes comprising mainly of beads and underwear, but an occasion where 13 bands from throughout various communities – comprising the Shortknee, Wild Indians, Moko Jumbie or Stilt Walkers and Vieux Croix – dressed in traditional attire and reminded us why they are integral and enshrined in our carnival celebrations.

As she stood and watched the parade, I am certain that Ms Claudette Joseph, who was the chairperson of the Subcommittee when that competition started, felt a pride that only winners feel when they arrive at the end of a race.

Revellers parading through the streets.
The choice for Victoria to be the home of the Traditional Mas was not decided by chance, but was based on factual historical research which showed that this rural community was the foundation for many traditional mas, especially the Vieux Croix and the Shortknee. The Shortknee technique eventually moved north to Chantimelle and the Vieux Croix moved south to Gouyave, depriving the true owner of their rightful traditional knowledge expertise.

Speaking after the parade, Arthur Hosten, Chairman of the Spicemas Corporation, said that it was a great success in terms of participation.

“I am seeing a great improvement of the event, however, we have to rethink the choice of location of the staging area. The resurgence of traditional mas is gratifying,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment