Wednesday 15 May 2013

Grenadian model all set for 2013 Tobago Fashion Weekend catwalk


By Linda Straker

Garia Walker
“I await the exposure with great anticipation; I see this as a major step in my modelling career,” said Grenadian model, Garia Walker, who will be among the models on the runway for the 2013 Tobago Fashion Weekend which opens today.

A primary school teacher at the St. Matthew Primary School who encourages her students to participate in extracurricular activities, this will be her first regional show as a model and is hopeful that she will make an impact.

“One day I would like to say that I am a professional model and not just do it as a hobby. I think it’s a very fascinating field with lots of opportunities and my intention is to pursue it as a career,” said the current Ms. Olympia Bikini.

Set to take place at the Pigeon Point, the Tobago Fashion Weekend will be showcasing top regional and international designers as well as global accessories and fashion brand developers and managers.

Walker is a model for International Modelling Agency (IMA), which is managed by Kendell DuBois, and both he and Walker will be making the trip to Tobago for the weekend of fashion parade. Tonight, the focus will be on bikinis, baubles and Batik; and on Saturday, it will be Antillean Night; while on Sunday, it will be Diaspora Connections.

“This is an opportunity to showcase the modelling talent of Grenada. Yes, it’s only one person for now, but it provides a chance, an avenue for exposure,” he said.

It is not yet known whose designers’ materials Walker will be displaying, but she made it clear that her intention is to put out her best. “I am just looking forward to really giving of my best and am hoping that I will get other opportunities in the wider Caribbean,” she said.

IMA is a modelling agency whose focus is on training amateur models.

No comments:

Post a Comment