Wednesday 24 October 2012

Muirhead: I’m ready, willing


There’s no time like the present for Michael Muirhead, the newly-appointed Chief Executive Officer of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

The Jamaican, speaking publicly for the first time since he was appointed to the post in mid-September, said he had been given the ideal pitch with which to start his latest innings. 

Newly-appointed Chief Executive Officer of the West Indies
Cricket Board (WICB), Michael Muirhead, speaking to the media
during an introductory press conference on Monday at Kensington Oval.
Muirhead, a management consultant, replaces Ernest Hilaire, who last month, having completed a tumultuous three-year term, opted not to seek a renewal of his contract. 

“I could not in my wildest of dreams conspire to come in to West Indies cricket at a better time,” Muirhead said during an introductory press conference at Kensington Oval on Monday. 

The event was also attended by Dr. Julian Hunte, president of the WICB; and Joel Garner, WICB director and President of the Barbados Cricket Association.

“This is an incomparable opportunity to serve our great regional game and I am indeed delighted at the confidence that the Board has reposed in me,” added Muirhead.

“We are at an historic moment in West Indies cricket. We have just won the ICC World Twenty20 tournament, our first world title in eight years and fourth since the 1970s, and I must congratulate the team for their win, but I must also thank them for rolling the pitch for my innings. 

“We are also at a juncture where West Indies cricket is coming out of a difficult season of change. The season is not yet complete, but I would like to think that we have emerged from the roughest waters.”

Muirhead, 55, said he would use the WICB’s Strategic Plan 2011-2016 as his guiding principal.

“I enter West Indies cricket at a time when the foundations for future success have been laid and I must recognise the work of the Board of Directors and the former CEO, Ernest Hilaire,” he said.

“I am aware that my name was not widely known throughout the region prior to the announcement of my appointment and I have been warned, and have already experienced, the dramatic changes which I know will only broaden with each day on the job. 

“I am aware, too, that I will be subject to criticism. I appeal for patience as I assure that each decision taken will always be in the best interest of West Indies cricket. I stand committed to serving the game and ensuring its future success.”

Both Hunte and Garner offered Muirhead their vote of confidence.

“The Board is confident that the appointment of Mr. Murihead will ensure that West Indies cricket remains resolutely on the path to structured development and progress and that he is most capable of continuing the process of overseeing the implementation of the WICB’s Strategic Plan 2011 to 2016,” said Hunte. 

“Muirhead brings with him a wealth of experience in a range of sectors. He is an accomplished, astute and measured business executive on whom the Board will rely to execute its programmes and policies. 

“We have been most impressed with his resume, clarity of though, broad understanding of the sport, communication skills and overall skill set, specifically his capacity for judicious management. 

“Now that we are exiting the season of fundamental change and approaching the road to sustained stability and steady progress, the Board believes that Muirhead is the ideal candidate to lead its administrative arm. 

“We are confident that his tenure will be a successful one as we continue the critical work of rebuilding West Indies cricket.”

Garner reinforced Hunte’s sentiments.

“The relationship between the BCA and the WICB has always been a very good one and we hope that this will continue,” said the former West Indies fast bowler. 

“We would anticipate some challenges and differences along the way but I’m sure once people keep talking, we can work them out. We look forward to a positive and productive relationship.” (AH)

No comments:

Post a Comment